Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a Mac 3200 chainsaw. All the fuel lines fell apart,

Customer Question

I have a Mac 3200 chainsaw. All the fuel lines fell apart, including the bulb from sitting. So I guestimated the connections. It will run if I shoot starting fluid into the carb, then stall when I stop spraying the juice. I may have routed the lines wrong. So I need a diagram of how the fuel lines go. Is there supposed to be a filter too?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.

Hello,the main fuel line with fuel filter on it and the tank return line that connects to the long nipple on the primer both go through the plastic housing (there is a cut out in housing).The main fuel line and filter connects to carb nipple opposite the two adjustment screws and the carb nipple near the throttle connects to the shorter nipple on the primer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you draw a diagram? I never saw a filter anywhere. Do both fuel lines go to the bottom of the tank?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
I tried finding a diagram before with no luck so I'll try to explain the best I can.Only the main fuel line with fuel filter goes to the bottom of the tank,the return line doesn't have to but should be a few inches long.You should be able to purchase a fuel filter at any repair center in your area (can use same as on a weedwacker) .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It should run without a fuel filter and air filter right? (While I'm working on it). I can put filters later right?
So, the fuel in (with filter) goes to the carb nipple closest to the gas tank right?
Then the nipple next to the throttle adjustment screw goes to the short nipple on the primer? Then the primer long nipple line goes into the tank(my lines both go to the bottom of the tank-is that ok?)
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
No,you must have a fuel filter-it works like a wick,and without it you are garunteed to have dirt in the carb.The main line with filter goes on the right side of carb,opposite the adjustment screws.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to the Hardware store to buy a filter!
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put the filter in the tank connected to the right line and it ran good. I messed with all 3 adjusting screws and it was running good, idle good. I shut it off, and it would not restart. Hmmmmmm......
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
Do you smell gas? You didn't prime and choke it while hot?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't prime or choke it. I just pulled the rope and tried to start it and it would not restart. Then I did choke it and primed it a little, then some starting fluid. Then wide open throttle. And it wouldn't start at all. When I put it away one year ago, it would always start up easily, no matter how I mistreated it!
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.

The carb may need cleaned now.Some dirt may have gotten sucked up while the filter was off and causing it to flood or restricting the fuel.Remove the plug and hold the saw so that the plug hole is down and with the switch in the "OFF" position pull the rope to see if it pours gas out.

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'll try that next week. I have to leave on a trip tomorrow and I actually injured my arm trying to start it by pulling the rope a zillion times. So, I'll work on it again next week and let you know what happens! Thanks!
Expert:  Vince O. replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, we got back from the trip to the Volcano, and watched it burn a house down! Bummer. I borrowed grandpa's electric chainsaw and finished the job. I will play around with the gas one again someday! Thanks for your help! Sorry for the delay! You guys are the best! Aloha!