Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.
7400257

I am having a wiring problem on my KAF620-A2 Mule 2510 4X4.

Customer Question

I am having a wiring problem on my KAF620-A2 Mule 2510 4X4. The main fuse is blowing when the key is engaged. When I unplug two black with white stripe wires from under the seat, the mule runs and does not blow the fuse. These wires seem to go to chasis ground? Where can I find a wiring diagram or what would be puting the high amperage to these leads?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.

Black/Yellow is the ground color for all Kawasaki Mules/ATVs and bikes. Black/White is a fused 12 volt line that is powered with the key on. It's run in a number of places like the horn, fuel pump, etc. I am going to post a diagram for you. It's large so is on two pages. I hope that helps sort out the problem, but they certainly shouldn't be going to ground.

Let me know if you need more help on the problem after you go over the diagrams.

Doug

graphic

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can not print the diagram large enough to see. Is this for a KAF620-A2 Mule 2510 4X4?

I need a spefic answer to this problem or this is of no help. If black white is power, why would it have been run directly to a frame ground. This is the way that it is wired and it has been working for years?

Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
That is as large as I can make it. If you are using FireFox the ctrl + keys make the print size bigger, then you can use your print screen feature. You can also download it and enlarge it using your windows viewer.

Yes it is for the 620 4x4.

I don't know why wires go to a frame ground unless it is something that was added on. There are a number of options available that are not shown on the diagram. I'm thinking that if they are supposed to be grounded then it wouldn't make a difference if you removed them or not as they would have no power going through them.

What is your voltage reading at the wires? That will tell us what we need to know.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, the wires are Black / yellow going into connectors that attach them to brown ground wires. I thought that I could see. When the key is on they have 12.2 vdc on them that has enough amps that they get hot before the main fuse blows. When I unplug them the fuse does not blow and the mule runs. I can't figure out why these wires would have that kind of power going directly to ground. These wires are about 14/16 gague wires. Is this diagram for the 620 4x4 mule exactly the same as my KAF620-A2 Mule 2510 4X4? I'm not sure that I have the computer skills to enlarge these small schematics.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
OK, the B/Y are grounds so should have no power in them. I don't have a mule handy so I only have the diagram to go by. Let me go over it and see if I can tell where the wires are connected and what failed.

That should be the diagram according to my factory shop manual. I will try and blow those up bigger and upload them. Then I can send you a link to download. It may take me some time but one way or another, I'll figure out a way to get you a blow up version!

Doug
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Could you take your meter and check the battery voltage? Start and run the motor and increase the RPMs. Your battery voltage should go from about 12.6 to 14.5. Is that working?

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I fried my meter. I will be a few days before I can get to a town big enough that sells them. I traced one of the leads and unfortunatly it goes to the fuel pump and tail lights. As the tail lights are already unplugged, I'm concerned about the fuel pump working. Do fuel pumps short out where it could send voltage back onto the ground lead? The other lead goes to a crimped connection that goes to ground and who knows where else. When you get a diagrahm to me, we probably can isolate the problem. I'll let you know when I can check it with a meter.
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
The possible fault areas would be the regulator, igniter, ignition switch, fuel pump or just a pinched wire. I don't think it would run with a bad igniter, pump or switch so I'm guessing the regulator might be the faulty part. A test of the charging system would tell.

I had a buddy send me over the wiring diagram. Both ignition versions are there so the one you have has to match one or the other.

Let me know what you find after you get your meter replaced and can run some tests.

www.moto-forge.com/answer/mule.pdf

Doug

Edited by Doug on 7/11/2010 at 2:52 AM EST
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.

Just checking to see if you got the file downloaded or not?

Doug

Edited by Doug on 7/14/2010 at 6:28 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Did you ever post the wiring diagrahm?
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I posted a link on the 10th. Did you download it yet???? The link is in the answer above.

Doug

Edited by Doug on 7/20/2010 at 3:01 AM EST
Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Checking in to see how you are doing.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks,

I had to give up and take it to the shop. I checked what you said and it kept blowing fuses. I guess that it was too complicated to assist on line.

Expert:  Doug E. replied 4 years ago.
Some things cannot be fixed at home. Let me know what they found.

Doug
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do