CJBennett
CJBennett, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Briggs and Stratton Master Service Tech, Kohler, Tecumseh, Kawasaki certified. 18 years exp.

How difficult is it to replace the transmission in a SCAG,

Customer Question

How difficult is it to replace the transmission in a SCAG, I have a 48" deck  Model SW48-17KA serial number(NNN) NNN-NNNN  Peerless transmission model 700-070A with a Kawaiski 17HP FH500V. Do you have a set of directions that could assist me step by step.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  CJBennett replied 4 years ago.

Hello. It's not hard. First loosen the idler pulley for the drive belt (9/16 nut)

Next remove the drive belt from the trans pulley.

Remove the drive pulley next, it is held on by a circlip. Remove the clip and it slides right off.

Next remove the shifter. It is held on by one screw or nut.

Unplug the neutral switch.

Unbolt the two drive axles. Unbolt them where they go trough the frame.

Slide them out off the way.

Next unbolt the 4 bolts below that hold the trans to the mower (1/2 wrench).

You can now remove the gear box.

CJ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I don't have to take the tires off or anything like that. Just pull them out with the axle enough to get the transmission out? I am currently not at home so I don't really have the visual right now. Thank You it doesn't sound that difficult at all.
Expert:  CJBennett replied 4 years ago.

Leave the tires on. I do these all the time in my shop.

CJ

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You , It probably won't be a bad idea to change the drive belts while I am at it. Do they slide right off once off of the Trans pulley?

Expert:  CJBennett replied 4 years ago.

Yeah it comes right off. You'll have to remove the deck belt. You will also have to unbolt the bracket in front of the electric clutch.

CJ

CJBennett, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Briggs and Stratton Master Service Tech, Kohler, Tecumseh, Kawasaki certified. 18 years exp.
Expert:  CJBennett replied 4 years ago.
How did it go?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank You I haven't found the time to tackle job yet. I might hold off until the fall . The mower still rides in 3rd but it just hesitates a little.

Thanks for the help.

Expert:  CJBennett replied 4 years ago.
Your Welcome