Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a john deere L110 17.5 horsepower. It will crank, but

Customer Question

I have a john deere L110 17.5 horsepower. It will crank, but idles rough. Also getting white and blue smoke out of exhaust. Mower will run for a bit then cuts off and smokes terribly at cutoff. I replaced the plug which seemed to help some, but it is now running terribly again. Was wondering where to go next with this to get it running
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
It sounds to have a valve problem. Pull the rocker cover ans see if the valves seem to working freely. It has hydraulic lifters, so the valves can't be out of adjustment unless one of the lifters has failed. See if there is any looseness in the pushrods or the valves. The engine could have a bad head gasket. There is something wrong in the upper end of the cylinder, meaning the valves or head gasket. The engine has never been run out of oil has it?? Let me know. Thanks.