Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

need to know wire the id of 4 wires for remote start on Onan

Customer Question

need to know wire the id of 4 wires for remote start on Onan 5.0 BGA.
Red is start
Blue seems to be fuel pump
Brown ?
Green outputs 14.2 volts when running (assum charging circuit) [email protected]
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

Could I please get the full model number of the set, so I can make sure I give you the correct info?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dont have full model I am assiting my brother in another city. The information I have is Onan 5.0 BGA Spec A if that helps any
Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

That is exactly the info I need. Thanks.

I can give you the info you need, but you will have to do the leg work.

Not all manufacturers used the same color wiring (the wiring is from the coach manufacturer, not Onan.

The remote switch should have 5 terminals on it - 3 on one side, and 2 on the other. The 3 terminals are the start/stop functions.

The 2 terminals are for the light in the switch. One of these terminals is internally connected to the center pin of the 3 terminal side. This is the ground for the light, and yo will need to use an ohmmeter to determine which. The other is the hot terminal, the green wire will go here.

On the right side of the control box is your 6-pin remote connector.

The pins are numbered 1-6, from top to bottom.

Pin #1 (top) is the common ground - it will go to the center terminal of the remote switch (I assume this is the brown wire).

Pin #2 is the stop wire, it will go to the stop terminal of the remote switch (top if the switch is mounted vertically, right if it is mounted horizontally). (Most likely the blue wire).

Pin #3 is the start switch. It will go to the start terminal of the remote switch (bottom if vertical, left if horizontal).

Pin #6 is for the hour meter or the light in the switch. It will go to the hour meter or the light terminal of the switch.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Please let me know if you need further clarification - I will try to come up with something.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The 6 pin connector is follows which has a pig tail with 4 wires that were connected to an Onan factory remote start switch and hour meter if memory serves me correclty.

Pin 1 is brown and I too believe is Common Gnd

Pin 2 Grn (Stop)

Pin 3 Red (Start)

Pin 4 Blue (?????) Is this possibly Pin 6?

Pin 5 NO WIRE on Pig Tail but there is a wire on Gen Set side of connector

PIN 6 NO WIRE on either side of connector (gen set or pig tail)

Is the Pin # XXXXX from top right Pin 1, middle right side Pin 2, bottom right side Pin 3 and then lower left pin adjacent to Pin 3 to the left is Pin 4 or jump back to the top of the connector to Pin 4 if that makes sense!

So to confirm contact between Pin 1 Gnd to Pin 3 will start the Gen Set

Pin 1 conected to Pin 2 will stop Gen Set

Pin 6 is has no wire to it if we are reading the connector number sequence correctly.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

On the set, pin 4 is never used.

Pin 5 is only for the deluxe remote, and goes to the battery charge meter.

Pin 6 is the hour meter and light inside the remote switch.

Pin 1 to pin 3 will start the set.

Pin 1 to pin 2 will stop the set.

Here is a diagram.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Exactly the answer I was looking for

Thanks,

Expert:  Hank F. replied 6 years ago.

No problem.