Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

the drive unit on my honda mower #HRT216-KSDA is not working

the drive unit on my honda mower #HRT216-KSDA is not working properly. It works fairly well at first but then really slows down when it get hot. I think the trouble is in the transmission. Everything else seems to be ok
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

You are most likely right, these transmissions have a tendency to burn out after a while.

You can pick up a new transmission from a honda dealer, part number 20001-VG4-H02 It will cost you about $110. These transmissions are not rebuildable, and have no serviceable parts

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do I remove the transmission?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

Remove the spring that holds the belt tight on the transmission then remove the belt and roll the transmission forward. Remove the pulley and cables (the pulley is held on by a roll pin) remove the wheels, and the e-clips that hold the gears on, remove the gears, keys and springs. There will be another e-clip underneath the gear, that needs to be removed as well.On the inside of the deck is one more e-clip that needs to be removed. the transmission can now be slid out of the mower. Reinstall is the same in reverse.

As simple as this job sounds it is not an easy job and unless you feel very comfortable with it then I would suggest that you have a shop do it for you. It should not take a shop more then an hour to complete this.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How do I get that spring off. Does the spring need to come off before I can get the belt off? The belt seems to be tight but could it be possible that just the belt needs replacing? The mower is 10 years old. Your answer to these questions should complete all my questions. Like I said the mower will work some but the drive gets very slow after about 30 minutes.

Thank you

Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

Your symptoms are exactly the norm for these transmissions. 10 years is a very good length of time for them. There are some fiber clutches inside the transmission that when worn will work when cold and slowly decrease as they warn up. If the belt is tight then it probably does not need to be replaced. Once they stretch they get some slack in them and it is fairly obvious they need replacing.

The easiest way to remove that spring is with a long screwdriver or pry bar. It takes some muscle, but it will pry up and over the top of the bar that holds the transmission belt tight. Yes the spring needs to come off before you remove the belt, unless you cut the belt off.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One more.

Do I need to undo the bolt that puts the tension on the spring. It appears there is a nut that I have to hold while turning the bolt head I think is a 10mm

Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

There are no bolts that hold that spring in place. See #4 in the picture, it attached to the rear of the deck by #2 and slips over the big S piece in the front of the transmission.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>What does that 10mm x about 3" bolt that is on the back of the deck do or attached to?</p><p>I think we are getting close. My transmission has a fork like bracket that the spring fits against and is held by the bolt. I think the spring in your picture is the clutch return spring and not the heavy duty pulley spring.</p>
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

I apologize you are right, trying to work too fast while I am at work I guess. Yes that bolt needs to come out. Here is "your" transmission.

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK Now does the drive shaft slide out of the transm. or is that one unit?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
It's all one unit.