Benjy, Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Experience Factory Trained John Deere, Husqvarna, Hustler, Exmark, Kawasaki, Kohler,

I have an Exmark zero turn mower with hydro pump problems.

Customer Question

I have an Exmark zero turn mower with hydro pump problems. I recently replaced the left pump and the power it has in both forward and reverse is significantly less then the right side pump. I tried adjusting both sides but it only made things worse. Is it possible that the pump is bad, somehow getting less fluid or some kind of adjustment made to the pump itself?

Also I have an electrical issue. I can mow on a fully charged battery for about 20 min. and the mower dies. I have a voltage gauge that i can watch. It starts and 13v and works its way donw to 7v then dies. I have istalled multiple batteries and had the voltage regulator changed. I've also checked all the fuses I could locate but all seemed fine. Also, sometimes the voltage meter shoots up for a few seconds then comes back down. Sound like a short, but where might it be.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.

There are mulitple issues that can be causing your hydro problems.

1. Did you test the old hydro pump? Was it bad?

2. Properly clean and flush the system?

3. Did you properly prime the new pump?

The charging issue. First measure voltage at the battery with engine off. Next measure voltage at battery with engine started running at curb idle. Next rev engine to high idle measure voltage again. Then let engine run at high idle for ten minuets and measure voltage again. With these reading I can better help you diagnose your problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

As far as the hydro pump, it was definitely bad. I did not clean and flush the system nor prime the new pump. I am lost when it comes to mower repair, I was just trying to save a few bucks. I will try these suggestions and if you have any hints, they would be welcome.

I will get back shortly with the voltage readings.

Thanks for your help,