Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

i have an ezgo electric golf cart that will not run...what

Customer Question

i have an ezgo electric golf cart that will not run...what could the problem be Just replaced the batteries
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Does the solenoid close when you depress the foot pedal? The system gets the power from the key switch, to the f/r switch to the foot switch to the solenoid. The solenoid has to power up the controller. Do you know what year model you have, the numbers are just below the right hand glove box area. the will be a letter followed by three numbers. the last two number should be the year model. E499 would be a 1999 model example. I will include a web site address so you can look at the wiring diagrams or pull up a complete service manual. Let me know if I can help. Thanks. http://mrcarts.com/cat_ezgo_technical_info.cfm
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure what you mean but the solenoid closing...there is no clicking sounds coming from it and it seems as though there is no power at all. It is a 1996 model. Is there anything else that could possibly have to be replaced.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
The micro switch at the foot pedal make the solenoid close. If you want to see if unit will run, put a jumper across the solenoid and see if it will run. Then chase down the loss of power, probably the micro switch for the foot pedal, located under the drivers mat in a metal box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can you tell me how to put the jumper across from the solenoid?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
You want to tie the two big terminals together, or take a jumper cable and go from the last battery that the cable goes to the solenoid is on and put the other end of the cable on the terminal that the other solenoid cable goes to. That will bypass the solenoid. You will have power at the controller and the unit should drive. You are dealing with 36 volts, so be careful where you touch the cable. Let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so basically you put the jumper cable, one on the negative terminal and one on the positive terminal?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
NO, you want only use one cable. Just hook from one big terminal of the solenoid to the other big terminal. You put positive and negative together and it will be the 4th of JULY.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok we just tried that and still no power at all....any other things we can try?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter to check things?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes we do
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Start at the carts battery charger connection, do you have the 36 volts there.?? If so locate the two cables, positive and negative that come off the battery pack that go to the control area. put one lead on the negative battery post and the other lead to the solenoid post and see if you have the 36 volts. Then press the foot pedal down and see if both terminals on the solenoid show the 36 volts. If so the solenoid is working and the problem has to be in the controller or the motor. Let me know how this turns out. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the battery charger says 37.8 and the solenoid battery side says 37.8 and the other side says 33.7 and doesn't change when foot pedal is pushed

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
The problem is in the controller or in the cables to the motor, or the motor itself. Was the cart working before the batteries were put in, or were the batteries put in hoping it would solve the problem.??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my dad owned the cart and it was working, then left the batteries out for the winter and they all exploded and then instead of putting in 6 - 6 volt batteries, he put in 3 - 12 volt batteries which of course didn't work. We now how brand new 6 volts and are getting absolutly no power. we have hooked up the batteries directly to the motor and the motor worked so not sure what else it could be

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Go to the Mr carts web site and methodically go through the procedure to check the controller. That is the only way to get to the source. Sorry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok so that should rule out the f/r switch and any other fuses or wiring or ingnition problems, we should just focus on the controller?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.
Yes, let me know how it comes out.