Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a snapper mower with a Honda engine. I was mowing the

Customer Question

I have a snapper mower with a Honda engine. I was mowing the lawn tonight and the engine died. I can only restart with the choke all the way on. Then it dies after about 2 seconds. It will not re start for about two minutes. It will only start on full choke and run for 2 more seconds. Checked spark plug and plug gap. Re adjusted the throttle cable according to the manual no change. Fuel is on gas is fuel oil level is normal. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The only thing that could cause this would be the carburetor . It sounds like the needle valve and float is stuck in the fuel shutoff position. Remove the bowl on the carburetor and remove the float and needle valve, be sure the fuel will flow from the tank into the needle valve cavity. Cleanup the needle valve and float, reinstall. Be sure the fuel filter, the round cylinder on the carburetor side is clean. Let me know. Thanks.