J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

Hi, I have a Murray 42910X92A lawn tractor. I was wondering

Customer Question

I have a Murray 42910X92A lawn tractor. I was wondering if there was a document out there that would show how the mowing Housing is assembled. My left and right brake assemblys part #'s 092411E701 and 092413E701 appear to be installed incorrectly. They are being ground down from the pullys. I could send you a picture if you like.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Have you replaced the brakes?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, Do you understand that I am talking about the breaks on the mower housing not the brakes that stop the tractor?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I understand what brakes you are talking about. Those brakes will wear and must be replaced occasionally.The edges of the brakes wear and then the pulleys will continue to spin.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

One of them still has a pad and one the pad has come off but I do not want to replace them untill I fix this problem. The brake is making contact with the pulley from the side not where the pad is. Are the brakes supposed to engage when the drive belt is engaged?

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
The brakes pull away from the pulley when you engage the deck. If the brakes are not doing that then you likely have a broken spring, cable, or linkage.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I compared the linkage and brakes to the parts diagram all parts appear to be unbroken and in good shape and installed correctly. The extension spring that controls the belt engage seems OK. The spring for each brake appears to be in good condition. I did not see any cables in the parts diagram. When I engage the belt the brakes coonect with the pulleys.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
When you move the lever to the engaged position the brakes should not touch the pulleys. If they are then something is not connected right. The brakes are designed so that when you disengage the mower deck that the blades stop turning quickly.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe that is the probllem that something is not connected right. The answer I need is how to determine what is not right. The manuel and parts diagram are not enough. I keep looking at it but I cannot see a flaw.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Did you have anything apart on the deck? I f nothing was taken apart, then something has to be bent.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought the machine used so I do not know if anything is missing outrside of this system. Therre are well over a hundred parts on the mower housing. I did verify each part for this system is present and appears to be the correct shape. How would you tell if a part is bent? The crosslink rod and the brake rod look like the shape in the parts diagram and the two brakes look like the diagram. They all sit level. There is really not much more involved that could be bent.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Any way you can post some pictures of how the deck brake is hitting the pulley?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Let me know if you need a picture of something I did not capture.

close left
close right

close left
close right

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

It looks like both brakes are hitting incorrectly. Loosen the bolts that hold the brakes to the deck. Refer to the first picture you posted. The left brake should be making contact with the left pulley at around the 2 or 3 o clock position. The right brake should be contacting around the 7 or 8 o clock position. Move them to that position and see if that helps. I also think the engaged versus disengaged in backwards.