Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

john deere 318 mower just stopped running and wont get any

Customer Question

john deere 318 mower just stopped running and won't get any fire to start up again. battery is good, all connections are good. Could this be an ignition swtch problem and how easy to fix myself?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
-Could you explain your situation a little more? Is the engine cranking over, just won't start?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Won't crank over, no nothing just dead
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, do you have a voltmeter to check it? Start with the battery, should have at least 12.5 volts, then with the lead still on the positive post, take the other lead to the frame of the unit. You should still have battery voltage. If not check the ground cable at the battery end and at the frame connection. If all that checks good, follow the positive cable to the starter solenoid and check the connections on the starter solenoid. From the starter solenoid, follow the small red switch wire back to the key switch, in this wire will be the ignition fuse. Check the fuse to be sure it is good. This is the wire that brings power to the ignition switch. Lets check up to there. Also look at the seat switch and other safety switches to be sure that one hasn't come loose. Get back to me. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Already have done all this. I just wonder about the switch going bad and how easy to fix that myself. As I said battery is good, just gets no fire what soever. Turn key and nothing no noise no nothing. Seat switch annd other switches seem to be good. Thanks

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The key switches do go bad. They can be checked with an ohmmeter after they are taken off to see if they connect internally like they should.