Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

My riding lawnmower wont charge the battery. I have to jump

My riding lawnmower won't charge the battery. I have to jump it with my truck when I use it. The battery is only a year old. What mechanism (like an alternator) is supposed to do this. How do I check it? - Larry
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The alternator is located under the flywheel of the engine, it comes out from under the flywheel and goes to a rectifier(regulator) and then goes to the battery positive side. The first thing you need to check is the battery voltage with unit dead. You should have at least 12.5 volts. Then while cranking unit watch voltmeter on battery, voltage should not drop below 9 volts, then with engine at half throttle, check the voltage again at battery, if the alternator is charging, the voltage should increase to over 13 volts. If no increase, then you need to check the voltage at the alternator output and the rectifier to see which is the problem. Check the battery first and let me know what you find. Then we can go into the charging system if needed. Thanks.