Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

I need to replace starter rope on craftsman weed trimmer model#358.791070.

I need to replace starter rope on craftsman weed trimmer model#358.791070. How do I do it? Is there a manual or diagram showing how it's done
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 years ago.

Hello,all I can find is the operators manual and a parts breakdown,but I'll try my best to instruct you.First you remove engine from the shaft.Remove the allen screw in the rear center of the black housing and loosen the two others.Pull engine off of shaft and remove 8 screws and the black trigger housing and take note of wire and cable routing.You will need a T15,T-20 and T25 (TORX) bit or screw driver.

There is a torx head screw inside the clutch drum that needs to be unscrewed. Remove the spark plug, stuff some starter rope in the cylinder (this acts as a piston stop), unscrew the torx screw using a T-20 driver, the drum will now come off. With a large enough water-pump-type pliers remove the clutch.Your shroud will now come off and you can get to the starter pulley.When removing pulley be careful not to disturb spring and have it pop out and take note of rope direction.Install the new rope the same way on and around the pulley,rout through the eyelet and install the handle.

Next we want to add tension to the spring so the rope rewinds.Seat the pulley into housing and hold it down while pulling the rope up and into the cut out in the pulley.Wind the pulley and rope in the same direction,clockwise,3 or 4 turns and check starter operation,give additional wind if needed.Be sure to hold the pulley in place while doing so or it will fly out and unravel.Reassemble all other parts in reverse as taken off.Nothing to it, right? Click on model number for a diagram.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi if I use a new rope kit from sears wll that make things easier or use the one I got? When removing engine where is the allen screw in the black housing? What part on the diagram is it?
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 years ago.

Home depot or Sears should sell the tool(s) you need.The rope kit I use is

71 358NNN-NN-NNNNI tried my best to explain how to do it and hope it isn't too confusing

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the info. I appreciate that you responded so quickly . I'm just trying to figure out where thre screws on the Black housing are? Can you pinpoint them a little better. There are alot of screws and black housing. Thanks again.
Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 years ago.
The trigger housing, where the switch is located
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

removing the screws near the trigger housing will remove the engine from shaft

Expert:  Vince O. replied 6 years ago.
Correct.they need to be removed so the engine comes off for further disassembly like I tried to explain above.I know it must be confusing for you,but if you are willing to attempt the repair I'll try to get back to you promptly with an answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm going to attempt it. I think once I get the engine off I'll be OK.