roger
roger, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  23 years of being a shop owner..small engine trade schools
6498115

I have a poulan 18 wild thing chain saw that wont start.

Customer Question

I have a poulan 18" wild thing chain saw that wont start. I replaced the spark plug,cleaned up the magnito, rinsed out the gas tank & put new gas in it but it still won't start. I'm notsure if its getting any spark. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
Hello,first thing to do is spray carb cleaner into the air filter.If it runs and dies the carb needs to be rebuilt with new diaphragms.If it does nothing ,remove the muffle and inspect the piston for score marks on the rings.Poulans are notorious for running to lean and burning the cylinder.Roger
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried everything u said and nothing! the piston looks fine but I Pulled the spark plug and when I crank it over I don't see any spark.

Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.

pull the wire from coil.Then check for spark.If no spark coil is bad.If you have spark

kill switch is grounded constant.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ordered a new MODULE IGNITION coil so if it works when iget it I'll letu knowthen ill accept your answer. thank you for your help & I'll get back to you.
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
Let me know.Did you pull wire from coil and check fire?Thanks Roger
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I just replaced the coil $It still wont start. so Idid the same thing, I pulled thewire from the coil & no spark even w/ the new one.
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
what do you have the gap set at?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is slightly touching. but I also tried opening it up a bit.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Iam talking about the magnets between thecoil and the drum not the spark plug that is set 0.25.
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.

The air gap between the coil and flywheel should be .010.Set it with a business card is close.Are you putting starter cover back on to pull it?Are grounding plug to the block to check for fire?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I put the starter cover on so I can use the recoil andand ground the plug to te block
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I put the starter cover on so I can use the recoil and ground the plug to the block
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.

It is possible on some coils to have upside down?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this one only fitson one way
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
Doesnt make since ?Brand new and wont fire.Did you set gap at .010.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I did.
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
Is the magnet on the flywheel magnetized?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is . the coil is also but not as strong
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.

There should be a wire that goes under one of the mounting bolts.Make sure the mounts are clean so it will ground.Might clean the area where it mounts with emery cloth.

Try again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
did that too & still no spark. I'm getting ready to just take it to a shop.
Expert:  roger replied 4 years ago.
Well i am out of suggestions as far as firing goes.