J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have an 2002 MTD 17 hp 42 inch yardman .. I dropped the deck

I have an 2002 MTD 17 hp 42 inch yardman .. I dropped the deck to put a new mulching kit on.. Now that I put the deck back on and I have taken it down many times. The blades will not engage when i throw the lever ..I double checked everything .. What did I miss or could it be something? The belt was replaced last year.. I'm lost
What are all of the model numbers from under the seat?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
13AN608G129 484-526
Does the belt that goes from the engine to the deck spin the double pulley on the deck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is supposed to.. There is 2 pulleys and when you throw the lever the top 1 engages the bottom. If your askng if the top 1 was spinning when I had the mower running and the brake on .. The answer is no
The top pulley and bottom pulley are connected. If the top pulley spins then the deck belt will spin and spin the blades unless the deck belt is bad. When you move the handle to engage the deck that should move the idler bracket under the frame and tighten the deck belt as well as release the brake off of the deck. Check to see if when you move the handle the belt going from the engine to the deck gets tight. If it does not get tight then the belt is not routed correctly or the idler bracket is not moving the way it should.