J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

how to remove and install vbelt from transmission pulley huske

Customer Question

how to remove and install vbelt from transmission pulley huske lawn tractor models 820 thru 829 840thru 849
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Which belt are you replacing the top or the bottom?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
top belt the one that goes around the large transmission pulley
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Take the cover off that is down between your legs when sitting on the tractor. You will see the double pulley the transmission pulley and the idler pulley. Release the tension from the idler pulley by unhooking the spring. You will then need to loosen the guides that are around the double pulley so the belt will clear. Once you do that you can remove the belt and then install the new one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There are two springs one large and the other is small and both are extremely tight.Which spring do I remove and is there a special tool to remove the spring.I have removed the belt from around the transmission pulley.The problem im having is removing the belt entirely from the pulley below.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Leave the springs attached. Just loosen the bolt and slide the double stack pulley down on the shaft. Let me know if those are not the springs you are talking about.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are you referring to a long bolt and if so do I need to completely remove the bolt
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
I am referring to a long bolt in the center of the double pulley. Loosen the nut until it is nearly off, but do not take it all of the way off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is the bolt on top of the pulley or the bottom

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Some have a bolt and some have a shaft. If it has a bolt it will go all of the way through. If it has a shaft you should see the nut on the bottom.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thanks I will try that when I get off from work
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Let me know. If you need anything else reply with the model and serial number from under the seat so I can look at the parts list.