timoto, Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience, Honda silver level tech., Honda power equipment tech

Hi, I have a HONDA ( ES6500 ) generator. It starts great. As

Hi, I have a HONDA ( ES6500 ) generator. It starts great. As it warms up I start opening the choke. When you get to full open it starts to run lean. The rpm goes up & down with no load on the unit. If you pull the choke to 3/4 open it smoothes out. Auto idle is off & circuit breakers are off. HELP.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  timoto replied 6 years ago.

The low speed fuel circuit in the carburetor is clogged from old fuel varnish. The carb will need to come off, completely disassembled, soaked in a commercial grade of carburetor cleaner overnight, rinsed and blown dry then all of the fuel passages and jets checked for flow before being reassembled. Honda has reduced the price on their carburetors to where in many cases it is more cost effective to replace the carburator rather than trying to rebuild it.

I am on my way out the door and will not be back until this evening. If you need further assistance post your message here and I will reply this evening.

If this answer was helpful please click accept and leave positive feedback. I do not get paid until you click accept.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I forgot to mention that it is at high speed only that the problem occurs. It is perfect at idle.
Expert:  timoto replied 6 years ago.
That indicates the problem is in the high speed fuel circuit. It is still going to require the carburetor overhaul procedure I described above. You also need to drain all of the old fuel out of the fuel tank, inspect it for rust or dirt, remove the petcock and thoroughly flush it and replace the fuel line.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
One more question. Would you know were i can get a new carb.
Thanks, ED
Expert:  timoto replied 6 years ago.

You can use this site to look up parts diagrams for reference as well as order parts.