Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Craftsman lt 2000 riding mower and it wont go forward

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman lt 2000 riding mower and it won't go forward or back, just sits and grinds when I try to force it. Engine runs fine but it won't engage...............
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 6 years ago.

There could be a couple of reasons your tractor is doing this.

First, the belt could be bad and the idler pulley may have a dry bearing and needs to be replaced. Check all belts and all idler pulleys first.

The next thing that could be wrong is that the transmission itself is bad and may need replaced. Usually these units cost more to fix than to replace the entire transmission.

I really would suggest you take this one to a good Lawnmower shot and have them give you an opinion on this before you go and spend a lot of money on a new transmission that you might not need,....

again, check all the pulleys and bests first..

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hope you understand....the mower was totally locked and unmovable until a friend came over with his Kabota tractor and lifted the lawnmower and dragged it to a different location. At this point whatever was causing the mower to NOT move before, released and it was able to go forward and reverse with no further problems. My friend suggested I not leave the brake on and just use a rock or other block to keep it from moving when not in use.

Your suggestions did not solve the problem, but I appreciate your effort. Please consider that POSITIVE FEEDBACK.

It now runs just fine and I will park it in the future where one can get to it easily, instead of facing in to the carport.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hope you understand....the mower was totally locked and unmovable until a friend came over with his Kabota tractor and lifted the lawnmower and dragged it to a different location. At this point whatever was causing the mower to NOT move before, released and it was able to go forward and reverse with no further problems. My friend suggested I not leave the brake on and just use a rock or other block to keep it from moving when not in use. I did not try any of your suggestions as I could not MOVE it, let alone lift it up to checks belts, etc.

Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 6 years ago.

You may have gotten very lucky......because usually if this unit is pulled with another unit, the transmission will be ruined. Thise are not made to be pulled.

Usually they will usually build up too much pressure inside the transmission and blow the seals and cause other damage inside.

In any case, as long as it is still working, let's finnish the job.

If the brake was stuck on, it will most likely stick again. You may have to lubricate the brake lever and the brake. These tend to corrode and stick. lubricating them will usually keep them from sticking again..

Find the brake assembly on the transmission and lubricate it there.

Good luck