Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

troy built pressure washer with a Honda overhead cam GCV 160.

troy built pressure washer with a Honda overhead cam GCV 160. its barely 2 years old and maybe has 3 hours on it. Started fine yesterday used it for about 10 minutes and it shut down like i turned the kill switch, no noise like something internal happened just shut down. I has oil and gas but its seems to have lost compression. is there anything to look for or check out?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Have you pulled the cylinder head cover to see if the timing belt is broke?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, would that make it loose compression and is there anything else that could be wrong?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

If you are still seeing piston movement, that would be the most likely place to start troubleshooting. If the belt is wedging a valve open you would lose compression.

I'm posting this as an answer, but it may NOT be the FINAL answer. This is just the first step in troubleshooting, so please hold off on accepting until we pinpoint the problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
took cover off and the belt was fine, so with the cover off i started slowly turning it over and seen only one valve was opening and closing so i lightly started tapping it closed and it freed its self and started moving again and i got compression back, put it together and it fired right up, now is this a problem i can expect to happen again or was it just bad luck
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Thought you'd find something valve related....

Probably wear in the valve guides and/or stems if you are seeing it sticking. It's possible, however, that considering it's early in the season and I'm not sure how long it's been since it was last used the valve may have just been dry and stuck. The valve train get lubrication via oil vapors and can dry out over time when not running.

The only way to be sure is to do some disassembly and measuring. But the real-world answer unless it's for a critical job is to watch for any repeats and address it at that time if happens. Now you know exactly what to look for.

Hopefully, luck will be on your side. Best of success!

Edited by Rick on 5/17/2010 at 6:12 PM EST
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.