Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.

I have an older john deere sx75 rear engine riding mower that

Customer Question

I have an older john deere sx75 rear engine riding mower that started right up the first time this year but the second time it wouldnt start. The battery is fine. In the past it only would start in neutral when the yellow neutral light came on. The yellow light wont come on and it wont start. The low fuel light is on. Im pretty sure its not the light. Im thinking theres some kind of relay switch that went bad. What do you think?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.

There are switches on the PTO and for Neutral. If either one is not working, it will not allow power to the solenoid for starting.

Try moving the levers back and forth to see if the light comes on. If not, you will need to test the switches or look to see if one of the wires came loose. It's also possible a rodent might have chewed off a wire over the winter, but in most cases a little rust built up in the switch.

You can test either switch with a multimeter. They are simple on / off switches so should read open or closed when testing with your meter. If you don't have a meter you can use a jumper wire, but remember to replace the faulty switch. You don't want a machine that will start in gear!

Here is the diagram of the neutral switch. The part is 26.

Here is the diagram showing the PTO switch. It is part 21A or 21B.

The pto switch and linkage is under the plastic cowling. You will have to lower the deck all the way and maybe wash off the top of the rear end to see the neutral switch linkage and wiring.

Expert:  Doug E. replied 6 years ago.
Oh, I forgot to mention that the neutral switch uses a metal ball so you can unscrew it, flip it over and spray some WD40 in it and they often come back to life. The PTO switches are sealed plastic and you can't do anything but buy another one.