Chris Huber
Chris Huber, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician. Dealer for most engine lines.
15271698

I have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor with the 18 hp briggs

I have a John Deere GT235 garden tractor with the 18 hp briggs twin cylinder engine. The battery light on the dash is on most of the time. Some times is goes out for a while but comes back on . This has drained the battery a couple of times. I replaced the battery, voltage regulator checked wire conections but the problem is still there. Can you help. Paul
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 6 years ago.
When the battery light comes on, disconnect the plug from the stator at the voltage regulator and test with a multi meter for AC volts. Touch one pin each with one test lead. If volts are less than 25, the stator needs replacement. If the volts are there, plug it back in to the regulator, verify the battery light is still on, and test the red wire coming out of the regulator. Ground the - test lead, set meter to DC volts and test the wire with the + test lead. If it is not reading 12 V the regulator /rectifier is bad. I know you said you changed it, but I have had 4 defective OEM regulators in the last year from briggs, mine intermittently over charged the battery. If all is well, you have a bad connection from that point back to the battery.