Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Honda HT3810 Ride mower / tractor - starting issues. I have

Customer Question

Honda HT3810 Ride mower / tractor - starting issues. I have one of these mowers and it will not always start, just turns over and over, other times it fires up right away. I have checked gas, fuel pump, spark, connections etc. If anyone has or is a Honda mechanic, I am sure it's an electrical related problem, but this unit has multiple relays etc. any help? Cheers, Ian.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 6 years ago.

Check the safety switches.

The most common problem is the switch under the seat.

If it is not activating all the way, then you will not have any spark, so it will just spin and spin.

Also check the switches on the brake / clutch pedal (did not look to see if it is a hydro, but it does not matter, because there is still a switch either on the pedal or the linkage that the pedal controls.

Next switch to check is the one on the pto or the blade engage.

The blades can not be on for it to start. If the switch thinks the blades are on, it will not start.

ALSO, always check to see if the wires going to these switches are frayed or if the insulation is getting bad. They can not short out or you shall get intermittent results.

If this dose not work, then you will probably look at the ignition system as in electronic ignition module.

It may be intermittent or there could be a loose wire.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the note, however, as mentioned, I have checked all the connections already. With the Honda, the safty switches actually prevent it from turning over when they are engaged etc. I am hoping to find someone with Honda tractor expierence, as these units are very different from conventional ridem mowers in many ways, especially in the electronics and numerous relays they utilize. Cheers,

Ian.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Change the status from closed to open, so perhaps someone else will look at it.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
Check the fuel shutoff solenoid in the base of the carburetor. It has to open the fuel passage in the carburetor before unit will run. Just see if you hear it click when you turn on the key. If it clicks it should be opening the fuel. No click, no fuel. If it doesn't click, check for voltage in the harness to it. If you have voltage , the solenoid is bad.

Edited by curtis beason on 5/18/2010 at 11:04 PM EST