Tom, Technician
Experience:  Honda Platinum Technician

I have a Cub Cadet 1864. When I flip the switch to engage the

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet 1864. When I flip the switch to engage the PTO it does engage, but disengages when the switch is released to the run position. Just put in a new PTO switch thinking the switch was the problem, but still does the same thing.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
OK all the wiring to the switches are good?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
How is the seat switch?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I believe there are two seat switches. First when I get off the seat the engine will kill. However, if I lock the brake pedal in the down position and get off the seat the engine will remain running and the blades will continue to spin. I've been holding the PTO switch in the engage position while cutting the grass as a temporary fix until the problem is resolved.
Expert:  Tom replied 6 years ago.
Ok sounds like a faulty seat switch or clutch switch these need to be checked next.This is the next step.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for not getting back to you for some time, but the two seat switches were on back order and I just installed them today. Still no change. The pto switch doesn't stay engaged. Where would the clutch switch be located if thats the next step. Thanks.