J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a 16.5 hp Kohler 42 Craftsman Rider and it keeps blowing

I have a 16.5 hp Kohler 42" Craftsman Rider and it keeps blowing the 30 amp inline fuse. I replaced it once and after 10 minutes of mowing it blew again. Replaced it again and it immediately blew when I tried to start it. What do you think is circuiting and blowing the fuse?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
The problem may be a bad voltage regulator or stator. It could also be a wiring that has rubbed through. It will take some extensive testing with a digital multimeter.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Last year, every now and then, the motor would not do anything when the key was turned on. But I would keep turning the key and it would catch and start. This spring I jump started the engine and it died on me after 10 minuted of mowing. Replaced battery because it was bad. Tried to start but nothing. It was totally dead. replaced the 30 amp fuse and it started and ran for another 10 minutes and shut down again. 30 amp fuse blown again. mower has been stored out of weather ever since I purchased it 14 years ago. Wiring appears to be good but I will check it again. How do check the voltage regulator or stator?

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
You may need a new ignition switch to start with. I would also check all of the connections at the battery and the solenoid.