Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

How do I remove the trimmer head off of my Troy Bilt weede

How do I remove the trimmer head off of my Troy Bilt weedeater?

Most of these are held on by a very tough keeper ring. You have to disassemble the head and take out the spool. You shroud be able to see the keeper ring in the very center of the head on the center shaft. This must be removed very carefully usually using two screwdrivers and a pair of needle nose pliers and a pair of side cut pliers. You will destroy the keeper ring. Be careful not to hurt yourself with a slipping screwdriver. Sometimes we actually have to cut through the head or the keeper with a small cut-off wheel. Sounds like a lot of fun...doesn't it.

This is one of the most difficult heads to remove.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the plastic part at the base?

The plastic part at the base is what must be taken off with removing the keeper. It just pulled off after the keeper is removed.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
there seems to be a lock washer holding down the base plastic. Should i remove that (how?)
That is the KEEPER that I was talking about that has to be removed. It is difficult to remove as listed in the first answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thanks for your help.

Ask for me again if needed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I followed your steps, but still have a wall of plastic after I finally got the ring out. Please see attached photo.
I did not get the Photo, Please try again. You may have to resize it smaller if it is too large it will not go through.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Still no picture. Make sure it is in JPEG format.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hopefully the picture will get to you this time...

I am not sure what is going wrong but I still can't get the picture. When you go to the question, can you get the picture off of it, or is it just my computer.

If it doesn't work, Please try again...maybe tomorrow and I will still answer it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i see the picture in the pane as i type

Do you see the picture in the question? If you only see it in the frame when you type, but don't see it in the info box after you send it, then it is not getting through.

Give me the EXACT model and serial number and I will look up a picture on the parts list and see what it is. I can probably even send you the parts list.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Try this...I've uploaded the pic to a webpage

Troy Bilt WeedEater head, empty

Username: troybilt
Password: perplexed

Ok, I got the picture.

This is just what I thought. The entire plastic drum just pulls off.

DO NOT HIIT the top of the shaft to get it off, or it will damage the shaft.

You might try screwing the bump knob onto the shaft and tapping it with a hammer while prying up on the drum.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i think i accidentally paid you twice. If so, can you refund the second send.
I looked at my account. And I only got paid once. If I find out differently, I will put in for a refund.