J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

My riding lawn mower has a 17.5 hp B&S engine. The starter

My riding lawn mower has a 17.5 hp B&S engine. The starter won't crank the engine past top dead center on the compression cycle. I replaced the battery but still there is not enough power. The starter will work if I turn the engine backwards so it can get a "running start." Is the starter/alternator bad? Is there a compression release that's not working? Where should I start to troubleshoot?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

The valves need to be adjusted. The intake valve is set at .003" and the exhaust is set at .005". See attached link and go to the adjusting overhead valves section.$tbKeyword=valves