J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

HI I HAVE A SCOTTS/JD MOD S2554 MOWER WITH A 25HP KOHLER

Customer Question

HI XXXXX SCOTTS/JD MOD S2554 MOWER WITH A 25HP KOHLER ENGINE.THE ENGINE RUNS FINE THE PROBLEM IS THE ELECTRIC CLUTCH JUST FALLS OFF THE CRANK.WHEN THIS HAPPENED THE FIRST TIME THE BOLT BROKE.I HAVE REPLACED THE CLUTCH AND THE BOLT AND WASHER TWO TIMES,BUT IT STILL DOES NOT STAY ON.IS THERE A SPECIAL COLLAR OR A PART IM MISSING..THANKS FOR YOR HELP
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

Are the wires broke when you take the clutch off?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hey jr,no the wires are fine,the whole clutch along w the bolt just drop off the crank

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

Does the bolt break or just loosen up. How are you tightening it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi it has broken but lately its just get loose n all falls out..i tighten it with an impact and put loctite on it....i mowed for about 1 hr,,then took a break...when i restarted it the whole thing fell off,,but did not break the bolt this time
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Have you tried a new bolt? Does the shaft look ok? Does the keyway have any damage?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi yes i have replaced the bolt nad the washer and i got them from jd to make sure they were the correct parts,,but still the same problem.the keway looks ok as they new clutch assembly has the keyway in it. as i stated before it seems to me that there should be a collar or spacer for the area between the face of the clutch and the face of the crankshaft as when its put together all there is is that bolt and washer,but the jd counter guy say there is not one. tks for your help
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
The spacer is built into the clutch. The clutch should go up against the drive pulley on the bottom of the engine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hey jr are u saying ther is a spacer or collar that shd be between the face crank and the face of the clutch.,,if so there is no spacer it there.
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

There is no spacer. The bottom of the engine will have the drive pulley. The clutch will slide up against that. The topside of the clutch has a spacer built into it.

MP25/MP25986________UN18OCT01.gif

MP18/MP18143________UN24NOV97.gif

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so betweeen the face of the crank and the face of the clutch there is no collar or spacer,,any idea why it will not stay on ....tks
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
How does this clutch lock in place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the keyway lines on the crank,then just the bolt n washer,,the inside of the clutch has nothing there between the face of the crank and the clutch,,maybe i need to call you
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
The clutch has to slide up and lock in place with a bolt or a tab that sticks down off of the frame otherwise when you turn the power on it would rip the wires out or unplug them. Can you take a picture of the bottom of the engine and post it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the tab you talk about is in place off the bottom of the frame...the problem i have is that when ita all together anf mowing fine the whole clutch comes loose fron rge crank and falls off.any idea why that would kep happening...tks
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
That does not make sense. Can you post some pictures of the setup?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea i can try to post some pictures.however the clutch looks just like the one in the diagram you put up.for some reason the bolt is not staying tight holding the clutch to the crank and the thing just drops off the crank.
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
It seems like you are not getting to bolt tight enough or the crankshaft is bad. Let me see those pictures.