Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

I have a MTD 14.5 hp riding tractor (Briggs & Stratton). I

Customer Question

I have a MTD 14.5 hp riding tractor (Briggs & Stratton). I recently communicated with J.R at Just Answer.com regarding a fuel solenoid issue. His response worked great but now I have a new problem. Yesterday, when I was mowing, the tractor ran fine. Then it started running rough and shut down. I pulled the air cleaner off and cranked the engine. Flame shot out of the carburetor and would not start. Whenever I crank the engine, flames keep shooting out of the carburetor. The cranking sound is different than before. I recently changed the spark plug, fuel solenoid and aircleaner.

Help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Has there been any impacts with the blade? Have you adjusted the valves recently?

Is this the mower you're working on?

Make: MTD Pros Series
Model: 287707 (off engine)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it's the same mower. When I replaced the fuel solenoid, it worked great and I did two lawn mowings.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

If you are getting flames from the carb, it should be related either to the wrong air/fuel mixture, valves, or timing.

When you replaced the fuel solenoid, did you flush the gas tank and replace the fuel line?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO. I just put in fresh gasoline.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Why don't you take a look in the carburetor bowl and see if you see any signs of sediment or residue, please. I would also suggest looking for any plugging in the main jet. If you can give me the type and code numbers that are listed after the 287707 on your engine I should be able to get you a diagram showing you exactly where to look.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Model #287707 Type #022401 Code #9601104B
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. You'll have either a Walbro or Nikki carburetor on there. Here's a link to a breakdown.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=287707-0224-01&dn=27190004A

The main jet is 117/117A depending on which style you have. Take a look for sediment and plugging in any of the passages, please. A piece of soft wire like a bread tie can be used to clear the passages. Spray carb cleaner is a good idea too. But still probe with the wire.

Let me know and we'll continue...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there any easy way to get to the main jet? Do I have to take all the top apparatus off the fuel system to get to the main jet (like the air cleaner base and all the other apparatus)? What's the easiest way to inspect the carburetor bowl?
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the Walbro or the Nikki? It will say right on the carburetor itself. You should be able to see with the air cleaner still in place.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's a Walbro.
Expert:  Rick replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry. For some reason I was not alerted to your response. Did you want to continue this?