J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35DL petrol engine which refuses

Customer Question

I have a Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35DL petrol engine which refuses to run. It starts with no trouble but cuts out after just a few seconds. I can keep it going for a few seconds more by tickling the primer or closing the choke but it still cuts out. I have cleaned the carb jets but it makes no difference. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Have you checked to make sure you still have spark when it quits? Have you tried to run it with the gas cap off? What are the model numbers off of the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In answer to your questions, the engine number is XXXXX It was very hard to read and the F could be a 5.

I have tried with the petrol cap off but it makes no difference.

I know it is firing on start-up because it runs for a couple of seconds but how do I find out if it is still firing when the engine dies?

There is one fine jet which is recessed into the body which I can't unscrew and can't get any air through. I'm wondering if this is blocked or it is too fine to be able to tell if air is getting through. If push comes to shove and it is to do with the carb, do you know where I can get a replacement, new or second hand?

Best regards,

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Those do not look like good engine numbers. Who is the engine made by?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've had a quick look and can't see a makers name without taking the shielding off. I'll have a better look tomorrow.

Regards,

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in answering your question. My Sky router decided to crash and I have had to wait for a replacement.

I have looked everywhere for a name but the only thing I can see is MCD1 or it could be MCDI in small raised lettering.

I have managed to keep the engine running for about 8 -10 seconds by closing the choke fully but without that it only runs for a couple of seconds. It will then only start if I prime the carb fully until petrol runs out of the overflow. It will run for a couple of seconds then cut out. Prime again and so on. If I don't do this it won't start at all.

Best regards,

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.

That sounds like a plugged

up jet in the carburetor.

J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, there is one reccessed jet that I can't get out and can't seem to get any air through. Do you know any tricks of the trade to unblock jets or any chemical that will disolve the gunk or failing that do you know any company that deals in lawnmower carbs, new or second hand.

Regards,

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Can you take a picture of the carb?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your help. It was a blocked jet. It took a long time to get it unblocked but it is now running.

Thanks again,

Expert:  J.R. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.