Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

My engine will only start if I pour gas directly into the carb.

My engine will only start if I pour gas directly into the carb. How do you get the bowl off to clean the needl and seat?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Can you provide the brand and complete model information off the engine, please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Kohler 18.5 in a Troy built Bronco 42" lawn tractor
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Which Kohler 18.5? There should be a tag with a model, spec, and serial.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't get the exact information. It's a TroyBilt 42" lawn tractor with an 18.5 hp kohler engine. It appears the float is stuck and Im asking how to get the bowl off. There is a solenoid in the base of the bowl.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

I was hoping to be able to give you exact information, but the general information is to disconnect the wire from the fuel solenoid, shut off the fuel or pinch the fuel line. Have a container under the carb to catch the fuel. Use an open end wrench on the flats of the solenoid to loosen and remove it -- it also serves as a bowl nut. Once you've removed it, the bowl will come off. You might have to wiggle it a little, since they often stick the to gasket.

Hope this is helpful!