Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

Sears 17 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on my lawn tractor is

Sears 17 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on my lawn tractor is 12 years old. Started smoking last fall with bluish gray smoke. This year started and ran rough, now won't start. I replaced the head gasket, but still can't start. Is the engine gone or what do I replace next? Everything else on the tractor is good, just can't start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.
The blue smoke is oil smoke. It comes from the valve guides or the piston rings. Usually it will be the rings on an older unit. When it wouldn't start, did you check for spark at the plug? And did you replace the plug with new, if it had spark?? The oil in the cylinder will foul the plug quickly and you can't clean the plug. Another item that gets missed on the older units is the valves. They close up and need to be checked and adjusted if they have no clearance. Setting is .006 to .008. You will have to remove the valves and remove material from them to adjust. Engine replacement is always an option, but you will have to decide if it is really worth the price of a new engine. Go to small engine warehouse on the web and see what a new engine will cost. Let me know if I can help further. Thanks.