J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a tecumseh peerless transaxle (206-545C), I am replacing

Customer Question

I have a tecumseh peerless transaxle (206-545C), I am replacing the shifter and brake shaft oil seal(788089A) as it is leaking. I have managed to get the old oil seal out without breaking the transaxle. Is it possible to get the new one in without breaking the transaxle. If so what is the procedure?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
If the seal is just a standard lip seal, then yes it can be installed without taking it apart. You need to clean the shaft up as good as you can and then apply oil to it and the id of the seal. Get the seal started squarely and then use a pipe or socket that will fit over the brake shaft and then hit on the pipe with a hammer to drive the seal into the bore.