RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

My Stihl chain saw (180C) will start, but will not keep running

Customer Question

My Stihl chain saw (180C) will start, but will not keep running with the choke closed, which is normal. If the choke is opened to half open position, the engine will stop. If you open the choke slightly and hold it, you can keep the engine running, but it never will keep running at half open choke even as it warms up. It ran fine a month ago. The fuel was mixed last summer, and has gasoline stabilizer in it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.

hi

This is a carburetor problem and here is what need to happen

remove the carb.....diagram the linkage

disassemble the carb and diagram the internals

soak the parts and carb body in NAPA COMMERCIAL STRENGTH CLEANER OVERNIGHT

reassemble using your diagrams with a carb kit from the local dealer

use it to you hearts content

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable, but it is no revelation. It is an answer that anyone, even a computer could come up with. There is a reason that it would change from running fine to won't run from one use to the next attempt to use. That is what I'm looking for; not just "clean carburetor."
Expert:  RUSS replied 7 years ago.
SURE! There are m minuscule passages in the carburetor and since EPA makes them run lean already it only take a couple micron size particle to cause this. ;AST YEARS FUEL DONT HELP STABIL IS NOT A CURE ALL. NEVER USE OLD FUEL this is and absolute no no