Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

Troubleshoot hard starting on Stihl BG 55 blower. Was stored

Troubleshoot hard starting on Stihl BG 55 blower. Was stored freshly tuned & dry last fall. Gave it fresh gas last week, started on second pull and ran strongly. Two days later, it refused to start. Drained gas, rinsed tank w/ white gas. Cleaned gas can, mixed new gas. changed fuel pickup filter, air filter & spark plug. Spark test is positive. Still no start, even with starting fluid. Suggestions for next steps?
Do you have a gage to do a cylinder compression test?

Edited by Rick on 4/7/2010 at 5:12 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, but compression seems good. Moderate resistance to the pull starter. Ran extremely well on first use this season.

My first thought was hard diaphragms in the carburetor from being stored dry. That's the common trade-off for not leaving fuel inside that otherwise leads to gum and varnish. But if that were the case you should get started on starting fluid or a squirt of fuel mix through the spark plug hole. You said you were getting good spark, so that leaves compression.

Are you certain you're getting good spark?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Pulled plug, connected lead, turned motor over, saw spark. How good it is -- can't say.

Is it possible, despite my care, that dirt or varnish fouled inside of carburetor? If so, what can I do?

You can remove the carburetor and put in a repair kit which isn't very expensive. Remove all the non-metal parts and clean them with spray carb cleaner or use a dip cleaner for no more than 15 minutes. The kit will have new diaphragms and gaskets. You can get it from your local Stihl dealer. There are no online sources of Stihl parts.

Before you start, take a picture or make a detailed drawing of how everything including linkages are assembled. It makes the job of going back together much easier, since parts lists don't show you these connections very well. And again, the only ones with parts lists are Stihl dealers. Stihl does a great job of protecting their dealer-base.

Have you tried a teaspoon of fuel mix through the spark plug hole to see if it fires that way?