J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a John Deere 325 that would not turn over (battery is

I have a John Deere 325 that would not turn over (battery is good). I had the starter checked and the solenoid needed replaced.   After reinstalling the starter the engine still won't engage (neither is the starter).   Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have a voltmeter and have checked the voltage with the key in start position at the solenoid on the small purple and white striped wire. There wasn't any reading. What else should I check?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
If you have no voltage getting to the small terminal on the solenoid then it sounds like you have a bad safety switch. Check the seat switch first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I bought this mower used and someone cut the wires to the safety switch under the seat and twisted the wires together. Is there another safety switch, like for the clutch?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

The tractor has a neutral switch, and the pto switch. The tractor should only start in neutral and when the pto is off. 11 is the neutral switch and 17 is the pto switch. You may also want to check the fuses in the control board.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked the fuses and they were fine. Should I get a reading on the two small wires that run from the ignition switch to the circuit board? I'll also try to check the neutral and PTO switches tomorrow.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
I am not certain on the circuit board. I have never did any in depth checks on them. Check the switches and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After checking the switches you told me about I found that my PTO switch was bad. I appreciate your help in determining the problem with my mower.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.