Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Why does white smelly smoke come out exhaust of a 1998 yamaha

Why does white smelly smoke come out exhaust of a 1998 yamaha G16A gas golf cart?

The engine had alot of gasoline in the oil when I changed it.

Prior to changing the carburetor and oil, the Golf cart would go 50 ft, smoke white, and shut off.

Now that I changed the carb and oil it went about a thousand feet before starting to smoke.
The cart was over full on the oil/gas mixture and would start to suck the oil from crankcase into the cylinder, thus smoke at 50 ft. Now that you have changed the oil and got it going again, the exhaust is full of the oil mixture, and it takes a while , the 1000 ft for the exhaust to heat up and start smoking. The exhaust will clear itself over time , or you will have to replace the muffler. You have fixed the major problem but the contaminated exhaust will persist for awhile. For the engine to have gotten fuel in the oil, it could be the switch got left on and the fuel pump kept pumping fuel into the carb. I hope this helps. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the reply Curtis.
If I understand correctly, I assume the old carburetor let too much gas in is the root of the problem, But how does oil get into the cylinder and gas into the Crankcase? Can that happen? I was under the impression the gas and oil were completely seperate systems.
Yes they are separate systems. The gas will go past the piston when engine is dead and winds up in the crankcase. And yes the carb. is usually the problem. When the crankcase is over full and fuel dilution has occurred, it will pull the mix into the cylinder from the piston motion acting as a pump. It has no place else to go.Thanks