J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

How do you recommend removing a brass needle seat from a briggs

How do you recommend removing a brass needle seat from a briggs carb. model 190412- 3020-01
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
They are a real pain if you start to strip the head out. You want to use the widest and thickest blade screwdriver you can find. I have one that I have ground on just for that. It has a thick slot and I narrowed it down to fit across the entire slot of the brass needle seat. If you are beyond that point, then get some good penetrating oil. I like DEEP CREEP. Spray it good and allow it to soak and then try it. Last, but not least I have drilled them out. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont. I have had some that when you try to drill it out that you crack the center leg of the carb and you must replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That sounds like what I was going to attempt to do. I'm hoping the new seat will correct the problem. as soon as I plug the gas line in gas seems to come leaking down into the bottom and into the air cleaer tube. any other thoughts?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the large main nozzle in the bottom. To remove the needle seat find a tap that will screw down into the seat. Turn it until the tap bottoms out and then pull up on the tap while turning it with vise grips.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one more question , would a bad float needle seat cause gas to flood down to the bttom otf the carb. and leak out all over?
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.