Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have a onan 5500 in my 06 gulfstream class c 34 motor home.

Customer Question

I have a onan 5500 in my 06' gulfstream class c 34' motor home. I just back from warranty work in Indiana went to start it (ONAN) up after several minutes (15) it finally fired to a cloud of diesel smoke. OK maybe gulfstream did not service this as was part of agreement and/or it sat days/weeks/months since servicing(gulfstream had it over 4 months back east) and the being hard to start part due to setting is a minor issue, OK
But now the really BIG point is the unit(ONAN 5500 diesel) will NOT SHUT OFF AT ALL. The prime/stop/start button in which we had to use just to get it start has been pushed /pulled/pried/poked etc to no avail. I went into the rig to see if the control panel shutoff would stop it-NO, I have even unhooked the cab/chassis batteries but it still is running. Went to the batteries that this unit charges up to see if there is a kill switch of somesort there to shut the generator down-NO. How do I get this shut off! I need help NOW ! Can I get a call XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
In order to shut down this unit you need to stop the fuel flow to the engine. The easiest way is to pinch off the fuel line. The unit will stop after a minute or so and then you can have the electrical problem fixed.