mcatlin, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  15 years working on honda briggs kohler exmark tecumseh

My troy built pony tiller with Intek 190 6 hp engine suddenly

My troy built pony tiller with Intek 190 6 hp engine suddenly started using oil with lots of smoke. Could it be a reed valve and where is the reed valve located?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  mcatlin replied 6 years ago.
Has this engine ever been run really low on oil or shut down due to being to hot?? Can you get me a compression reading? Can you get me the model,spec and serial number Let me know Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Bought tiller used It is 5+years old. My Neighbor uses the tiller a lot so i don't believe it has been run hot or low oil. over the past year the starter cord increasingly became harder to pull. I adjusted the valves. The lifters were so loose that the valves were barely opening. After the valve adjustmen,t starter cord pulled normally and engine started and runs good but began to smoke heavely and uses lots of oil. Engine spec decal is missing but it is a troy built model 12181, sn 121811201162
Expert:  mcatlin replied 6 years ago.
I can probably come up with the info without the model numbers,but can you do me a big favor and get me a compression reading. Very important. Will be off for a bit to get to an appointment,will be on a little later Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Compression is between 60 and 70 pSI. This guage I have has a diagonal pointer so I think it reads 60 +psi at the low end and 70+at the high end. I think the low end is the number i should use because the high end is for metric the high end reads 500 kpa
Expert:  mcatlin replied 6 years ago.
Ok,let me ask you a couple more questions,what shape is the air filter in is it full of oil? Does the crankcase vent blow oil directly into the air cleaner housing? One thing I did not ask you at first is did this unit get tipped onto its side? Let me know Mike
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'll check the air cleaner tomorrow and get back to you.
Expert:  mcatlin replied 6 years ago.
Sounds good (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Edited by mcatlin on 3/14/2010 at 12:41 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the air cleaner. It is reasonably clean. There is a little oil along the bottom of the filter. The Crankcase vent is from the valve cover to the air filter housing. The vent hose is clean and dry inside. This morning I removed the vent hose at the air filter and ran the engine for 3 minutes. Smokes like crazy. I removed the valve cover and there is no oil buildup. The head drains at the bottom of the head. The head mounts at about a 30 degree angle from horizantal. There is a rubber seal on the intake valve. I do not believe the unit has been tipped at least not this year. The valves were adjusted last October. I ran the engine for about 2 hours last week tilling my garden and it smoked all the time.
Expert:  mcatlin replied 6 years ago.
If you are not sucking the oil through the intake,and the oil is not overfull or thinned out with fuel then there is only a couple of things that it can be. Your compression reading is not super,but will run engine ok. If you could come up with a leakdown tester you should be able to narrow the search. The things that can cause what you have going on are 1 Worn rings,piston and cylinder 2 worn valve guides sucking oil directly into combustion chamber. 3 worn valve seal. 4 combo of any of the three. The leakdown test will tell you what is leaking by. Let me know if you have any questions on this post Mike