Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

have a poulan 2150 superclean chainsaw. follow directions on

Customer Question

have a poulan 2150 superclean chainsaw. follow directions on cranking but it will not crank at all. sometimes it will sound like it is going to start but still wont. what am I oing wrong. Carb. was worked on once.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Does it have spark? You can check by removing the spark plug from the engine, putting the coil wire back on it and placing the plug in contact with the metal block. In a shaded or darkened area you should see a nice blue spark. Be careful and do not to touch the plug or wire while doing this, we don't want to hear about you getting an unpleasant shock.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
plug has been changed and has a good spark
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
When the lines were changed is there a possibility the lines were installed incorrectly? That's a common scenario.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they were put on according to the instructions and the tech. at shop checked them also.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Then they're probably right, but here's a diagram to be sure.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that is the way it is. would it help to spray carb. starting fluid in and see if that will help? could it be that the chainsaw is all used up and ready for the junk pit?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
I would put a teaspoon of fuel mix in the spark plug hole and give it a try just to see if it starts. Do you have a compression gauge by any chance?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
forget it. oil and bar oil are running out the bottom of it. Guess I will just go buy a new one. do you need me to check the accept button?
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

Hold on for a moment, please. There should only be bar oil running out the bottom, since the 2-cycle oil is mixed with the gas. Is gas leaking also? The bar oil has nothing to do with it starting and running.

You click accept only when you are happy with my answer and are satisfied that I've been helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no gas leak just bar oil. primer bulb fills easily by the 4th time you depress the bulb. no gas smell after pulling on the cord also, like it is trying to overflow with gas.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

It shouldn't be able to overflow with gas unless something's hooked up wrong or out of adjustment. The primer system isn't really a primer, but a purge. It will fill up the line, but it doesn't shoot fuel into the throat of the carburetor like a real primer would. Overflow goes through the return line back to the tank.

Did you try a bit of fuel mix in the spark plug hole yet? What you're describing sounds like fuel isn't getting through the carburetor. Perhaps the metering lever under the diaphragm is out of adjustment?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
havent tried that yet. but last time I tried it after squirting starting fluid in it almost caught and crank. Will keep on working with it and see what happens. thanks for help/advice.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.

You're very welcome. Keep me posted on your results, please.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how will I be able to get back intouch with you? I will keep on working with it and will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Rick replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. Had some problems with my dad's health. Just reply back to this question and I'll be notified.