Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

My John Deere L100 with the Intek 17.0 Briggs & Stratton BG20249

My John Deere L100 with the Intek 17.0 Briggs & Stratton BG20249 GXL100A083971 engine seems to be holding the compression & the (new) battery & starter will not turn it over. I can remove the spark plug & it turns over fine but with the plug in it will not. I remover the exhaust manifold to see if the muffler was plugged: no effect. I have had the local JD dealer work on it as well as a local mower repair person work on it. They got it to sort of work for awhile but the problem comes back. Any Ideas? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Bellingham, Washington

The problem most of the time when this occurs is that the valves need to be adjusted. Remove the valve cover and check the valve settings. There should be between .004" and .005" between the valve stem and the rocker arm when the valves are fully closed.

If this isn't the problem, then the next most likely cause is a broken compression release inside the engine. The compression release spring is located on the camshaft inside the engine. It is this spring that usually breaks. The entire camshaft must be replaced if the spring is broken.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave positive feedback this is how I'm rated. Thank