Robert P
Robert P, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  40 years experience in 2 & 4 stroke eng. 6 1/2 years Tech 3 Georgian College Small Motors Division

Jacobsen, I have a Jacobsen Imperial 26 Snowblower Model

I have a Jacobsen Imperial 26 Snowblower Model 52601-28364. Motor starts & runs very well. Clutch engages auger & blower fan. Problem is that the chain keeps slipping off the sprocket and drive gear!! Appears that the chain has too much slack. Both gear and sprocket are aligned vertically. I cannot see any chain tension adjustment . Can the chain stretch that much? I have the owner's manual but not the parts listing. Please advise as to length of chain, part # XXXXX any advice on this problem. Thanks

J. Folis
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Robert P replied 6 years ago.
It sounds like the axle bushings are worn out , tip up on it's nose and move the axle and see if it is sloppy . If so replace bearings or bushings , could be either .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I tried the suggestion and there was neither horizontal or vertical "play on the axle. Worn bushing and bearing wear did not show in any way. All axle and sprocket shafts were tighrt and true. What's next?

J Folis
Expert:  Robert P replied 6 years ago.
Make sure your bolts or click pins on the wheels are in the proper hole , if it's not it will allow the axle to move over and walk off of the pully . Check for side play on axle , move wheel in towards body , one side or the other , it will have 2 holes .in axle .

Edited by Robert P on 2/15/2010 at 2:38 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have received your second suggestion. I am battling a fever and severe cough. As soon as I can get back out to my shed, I will give it a try. Thanks for your patience.

J Folis

Expert:  Robert P replied 6 years ago.
No problem , having the same at this end , get well . Robert p