Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

My snow thrower bogs down when the engine is loaded it is also

My snow thrower bogs down when the engine is loaded it is also hard to start. I replaced the sparkplug drained the gas lines and put in new gas and it is still hard to start.
Underneath your carburetor is there an adjustable jet? It should be a 7/16" bolt with a screw through the middle of it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I see the screw you mention, what should I do?

This is your high speed adjustment screw. With the engine running full speed, slowly turn that screw counterclockwise very slowly until the engine picks up and runs smoother. If it gets worse then turn it clockwise until it smooths out. These are very small adjustments, so go slow. You will find a sweet spot where it seems to run best.

As a reference point the initial adjustment is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated (turned all the way in)

Glad to hear it is running. If it still bog's down in the snow turn that screw counter clockwise a small amount. This will add more gas and get you where you want to be.