cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
26074928

Sears Craftsman 24 7.5HP Briggs Stratton Snowblower has trouble

Customer Question

Sears Craftsman 24" 7.5HP Briggs Stratton Snowblower has trouble running.

It fires up right away with pull start. It runs with the choke full on, as i gradually increase the choke to run. It starts to sputter and and eventually stop. When i click from full choke over to the next level it runs with the auger and self propel but only for a few minutes. I have sprayed out the carb, added gas treament and fuel stabilizer. This snowblower has only been run twice in 3 years and not even in heavy snow.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms you describe are typical of and engine that needs its carburetor cleaned. Especially with its minimal use and long periods of storage. Spraying the carburetor with carburetor cleaner just doesn't do a good enough job to get it clean. I recommend a complete disassembly and soaking of your carburetor in a good carburetor cleaner such as Berryman Chem Dip to get a thorough cleaning. It comes in a 1 gallon pail and you can get it at any auto parts store for around $20.00. Remove, disassemble, and soak for about 30 minutes and spray clean with spray carburetor cleaner. Blow dry with compressed air or allow to air dry if you don't have access to compressed air. Reassemble using a new bowl gasket and needle and seat. The part numbers for those will vary from engine to engine, so if you need those parts, I can refer you to the correct part numbers and an online source to purchase them. Let me know the engine model and spec/type number if you need parts. Once you have the carburetor cleaned, I would dispose of and replace all of the fuel in your fuel system and add freshly pumped fuel to the fuel tank, just to eliminate it as part of your problem. I think that will get you straight, but if you need anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

Kyle