Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

I have a craftsman 9 horsepower electric start model 536-887992

I have a craftsman 9 horsepower electric start modelNNN-NN-NNNN it appears that the impeller(1501188E701) doesn't turn. It had built up some ice behind it clean it out and it seemed like it was going to work. I adjusted the auger idle pulley, it appear to be a little loose. Put it back together and put it into the snow and nothing it stopped turning. Any help before I take it all apart.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

A few questions

1 Is this just the impeller. or both the impeller and auger?

2 Does the impeller and auger turn with no load?

3 Can you turn the Auger by hand?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears to be the impeller the auger will turn
impeller doesn't with load the auger does
you can't turn the auger by hand
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like the roll pins that hold your impeller to it's shaft have broken. You can usually access them the the hole where the chute is. Remove the chute and pound new roll pins threw where the old ones were. A large punch helps with this.

Here is a breakdown to help you better understand. The part I am referring to is #341.graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
jon you right it just spins around does the hole go thru both the impeller and the shaft if so can i use a bolt until I can get out to get the right piece 341 spring pin

thanks for your help saved me from taking something apart that I didn't have to
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
Yes the hole goes all the way though the impeller and the shaft. If the hole is clear and you can get a bolt in there it won't hurt your machine. A bolt that small will not be very strong, thats why they use the roll pins