Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Factory trained in residential small engine equipment

My Craftsman Gt 5000 with a Kohler Pro 25 V Twin, has been

My Craftsman Gt 5000 with a Kohler Pro 25 V Twin, has been smoking and burning oil most of the time I use it now. There are times it does not smoke or use oil. Any ideas what the problem might be.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis replied 6 years ago.
Hello. Kohler 25 twins have a problem with faulty head gaskets. When they get up to operating temperature,the faulty gaskets allows oil returning from the rocker covers to enter an exhaust port creating a great deal of oil smoke. The solution is to remove the heads and replace the gaskets. Although a lot of bolts need to be loosened, the engine can remain in the tractor ,so it's not the most difficult job, but it is time consuming. If your interested in the how to details, please just click back. I hope this helps, Curtis