Chris Huber
Chris Huber, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technician. Dealer for most engine lines.

Ariens snowblower, the mechanism for the turning the wheel

Customer Question

Ariens snowblower, the mechanism for the turning the wheel will not engage, great timing for snow today, please help. Rob
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris Huber replied 6 years ago.
Well, there are a few possibilities. First, remove the plastic belt cover between the engine and the chute, and verify the belt is in tact. If so, push up on the handles and balance the machine on the opening of the auger housing. It should balance well. Remove the bottom panel by removing the 4 bolts that hold it on. Inside, you will see a silver wheel, which is driven by the pulley and belt you inspected. When you engage the drive, it brings the silver wheel and the friction disc in contact with each other and the friction disc transmits the power to the wheels. The speed is determined by where on the silver wheel the friction disc comes in contact with. The cable is adjustable, to increase pressure to the drive disc, shorten the cable, or linkage depending on which model you have. Also, if you could give me the model number off the sticker by the operators left ankle, I can be sure of the system you have.