Curtis
Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Factory trained in residential small engine equipment

I have a ryobi ds26 gas weedeater what wont start. The engine

Customer Question

I have a ryobi ds26 gas weedeater what won't start. The engine turns over fine, seems to get gas and plub is clean. What could be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Hello.When you cleaned the spark plug, did you check for spark? With the plug out of the engine, lay it on a metal surface and pull the starter rope. In an area out of direct sunlight, you should see a bright blue spark. It's best to try this with a new plug,as gasoline deposits can foul the plug internally and conduct the current to ground. If there is spark then fuel or exhaust systems may be the problem; if there's no spark then we'll look at the kill switch and wire or the magneto. Try the spark test and we can go from there. Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Curtis,

Ok. Thank you for your help. We do have a spark when following instructions given.

Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
That's good. Next, take a couple of drops of fuel and oil mixture and pour it directly into the cylinder, reinstall the spark plug and wire , pull the starter rope and see if the engine fires. If it fires , runs and stalls, then the muffler may be blocked with carbon or the carburetor may need rebuilding. Be sure you use an oil and gas mixture for this test as raw gasoline or starter fluid will damage the engine.Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It will take a little while to put carb back together. Will do this and reply.

I fear that some workers around the house may have not put the oil/gas mix in. So this brings about a concern as to damage symptoms of this nature?

Also, I am a man of integrity and will pay, but want to keep communication lines open. Not the only thing I am working on this morning, so please be patient. If I pay now, do we still communicate?

Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Take your time and get to a point where you feel I've helped before you accept, there's no hurry. I'll be on line if you need more advice. Here's a couple of other thoughts: use fresh fuel for these processes I've mentioned. If the engine was run on raw gasoline, the piston and cylinder would be damaged. Scratches in the cylinder wall and on the piston would allow the engine to loose compression.When you get the carb back together, see if it fills the fuel line and primer bulb, if so equipped, with fuel when the bulb is pressed or the starter rope is pulled. A cracked fuel line or blocked fuel filter will prevent the carb from filling. Once again, no hurry. I hope this helps, Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Compression as good as new. Just bought the darn thing last summer and don't want put time into taking to repair under warranty, and I would think this is something simple- something that we can solve. Assuming that if spart is at plug that there is no problem with kill switch. Will get back with you. Thanks Cutris.

I can try gas / oil change, but if that doesn't work, is the next step a new spark plug? This one seems to be firing fine.

In TN and we have more snow and Ice here than I ever remember seeing, so snowed in today.

Craig

Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
If there's spark at the plug, you can use that one, Craig. Assemble the carb and see if it picks up fuel. With a fairly new machine, your problem may be a blocked fuel filter, which is at the end of the fuel line inside the fuel tank. With the assembled carb, if fuel doesn't pick up, the filter's blocked, the fuel line is cracked and sucking air, or the carb diaphragm is cracked. Good luck. Curtis
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Curtis,

We have spark, we have gas going into engine. Tried the new gas/oil mixture and tried priming with a couple of drops in the plug hole. Nothing.

Took the engine out to get to wire connections from wires and find them sound. the fly wheel or whatever you call it on these engines is like new.

Took the place off of the pistons and find oil with a little gas smell. Again, I think the compression is fine.

Your thoughts? as it must be fire somewhere, but at my end here.....

Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Hello Craig. It's odd that you haven't got at least a "pop" from the engine. This makes me think it would be wise to try a new spark plug when you can. Even in the worst of cases in small two cycle engines of this type if there's fuel and ignition, the engine will show some signs of life.Once again a new,properly gapped plug may get you on the right track. Other than that, checking the engine compression is the next step in trouble shooting. For that you need a compression gage that threads into the spark plug hole. With the gage installed, several pulls should produce 75 psi or greater. Less means internal failure. Getting the engine to fire would be a major step in the right direction.Curtis
Curtis, Small Engine Technician
Experience: Factory trained in residential small engine equipment
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Curtis, Will try a new plug. If I can find a compression test for a reasonable amount, will follow-through.

thank you for your time and committment to my needs. payment at this piont is more than fare. Do you want me to follow up with resolution found including trashing the thing.

Craig

Expert:  Curtis replied 4 years ago.
Craig. Thanks for accepting, and yes, please let me know how you make out with repairs; if I can answer any other questions about your machine don't hesitate to ask. Curtis