cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
26074928

my generator is an old one without any fuses or reset buttons.

my generator is an old one without any fuses or reset buttons. The wires inside where the plugs are at don't look bad either. it will not produce electricity.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 4 years ago.

Have you tested the AC outlets for AC voltage with a multimeter, or did you just find that it wouldn't power something you plugged in? Let me know as the voltage output will be helpful in diagnosing your problem.

Thanks,

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no ac voltage output.

Ok,

I have a proceedure I want you to try, but you'll need a corded drill to try it. Do you have one handy that you can use?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a drill. i also found a button with 3 wires connected to it the center lead is connected to the brush, the other 2 are connected inside the windings i think.

using the center as the common, i test the button center to one side is closed circuit, from center to the other side is open circuit.

Ok, that may be a reset button. This proecedure is called flashing the field. If your rotor has lost residual magnetism, it would cause low voltage or no voltage, and flashing the field in your generator will restore the residual magnetism in your rotor if it has in fact been lost. Take your corded drill and plug it into your 110volt ac outlet. Now start the engine, and grab your drill. Make sure there is not a drill bit or anything that could damage your hands. With the engine running, and drill in hand, squeeze the trigger of your drill and turn the head of the drill. The twisting action of the drill head will create enough current to restore residual magnetism to your rotor, again, if it HAS in fact been lost. Take care as if that was your issue, that drill should come alive in your hand. If nothing happens, let me know and we'll go from there.

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The button looks like it is about the size of a nickel. It has 3 wire connections on it. One open circuit, and the other closed. The name of the unit is a pow'r gard.serial #K85428D model-MA5036DV

Ok, try the field flash and I'll see about looking up a wiring diagram in the meantime.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try it tomorrow afternoon when i get home from work and then get back to you. Thanks for the help

Ok, let me know how it goes once you've had a chance to try it.

Thanks,

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The drill did not help. Do you have any other ideal.
The next thing you'd do is ohm out your rotor and stator windings. Each winding has an appropriate ohm reading that it should fall within. You'll need to check each winding for the appropriate ohm reading and also, make sure each winding is isolated from the rest of the windings and ground. The only problem is you'll need a wiring diagram to indicate which wires to apply your multimeter's test leads to. Without knowing which wires are going where, you wouldn't know which wires to ohm. I looked without success to find a wiring schematic, or even a parts breakdown for your generator using the model and serial you provided above. I know you said the thing was pretty old, but you don't happen to the original owner of it are you? If so, the place you bought it might be able to refer you to a place to find that wiring diagram. You can check the rotor for continuity to ground without an extra information. Set your multimeter to check for continuity. The rotor has two slip rings that the brushes rest upon(unless it is a brishless design). You'll need to remove the brushes and then apply one test lead of your multimeter to one of the slip rings, and the other to a ground point on the frame. If the multimeter shows a continuity reading, then your rotor is shorted to ground and is likely the cause of your loss of voltage. If you get no reading, then you have no continuity to ground and your problem will be elsewhere, though the slip rings on the rotor will still need to be ohmed out to see if the rotor's ohm value falls within the appropriate specs(again listed by the manufacturer). Thats why finding the wiring diagram and manufacturer information is important. Let me know if you are able to find any information about it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I bought the unit used. tomrrow i will ohm the rotor and if i have to i will break it down and trace the windings to see if they are shorted. Since i don't have a wiring diagram is there a common ohm reading for most windings?
No, the ohm values will be different even between models within a brand. If you can isolate each winding in the stator, you'll need to make sure that each winding shows no continuity to ground. And if they don't, you'll also need to make sure that each individual winding doesn't show continuity to every other winding in the stator(that is, if you can isolate them each individually).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the windings are shorted out. Thanks all your help, and time you spent looking for a wiring diagram.

Ok, I'm glad you figured it out. Good luck to you!

Kyle

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm looking for a new one is there any brand you recommend? i need at lest 7000 watts.

I am factory trained for Generac(Briggs & Stratton Power Products) and they make a great product. You might find it branded as Troy Bilt among other manufacturers and they make all ranges of wattages. They are priced reasonably when compared to a Honda generator for instance. Check them out at http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engine_power/category.aspx?cid=31

There, you should be able to find a place online to purchase them, and also do a search for a local dealer that handles them or can get their hands on them.

Please let me know if you need anything else, or if you want my personal opinion on one you are looking at.

Thanks,

Kyle

cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience: 15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair