J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have an 8.5 hp tecumseh motor on a snowblower which is blowing

Customer Question

I have an 8.5 hp tecumseh motor on a snowblower which is blowing out a considerable amount of oil from the vent tube near the top of the block. Any thoughts as to what might be the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Excessive oil out the breather tube can be caused by the engine being overfull on oil. The problem can also be a plugged up breather as well as a worn cylinder or rings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I checked the oil level first. It was where it should be.

If you refering to the breather inside the plate where the oil tube is located, checked that too. It was also clear. Is there another breather located somewhere else?

The motor is only a couple of years old, so I am discounting worn rings.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
If the oil level is correct and the breather vent is clean, worn rings are the only other thing that will cause excessive crank case pressure. Make sure the oil does not smell lie gas.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I do not smell gas in the oil, but I do not have a lot of compression at the spark plug. Your thought of a cracked ring are sounding like a possibility.

Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

If this engine has overhead valves, you may want to check the valve adjustments. Here is a link to the manual for the ohv engines.

http://www.cpdonline.com/695244a.pdf